D.I.Y. Wednesday: Gift Bows

It’s our first D.I.Y. Wednesday in November and, while we know you’re probably already being bombarded with holiday messaging, this repurposing project serves this time of giving, as well as all those occasions we toast throughout the year. Erin found a great way to recycle gorgeous pages that you’ll never be able to use again. A while back, “How About Orange” did a blog post showing how to make gift bows out of old magazine pages. Inspired, she modified the dimensions of their original project to work with the Vera Bradley Agenda page size. And the result? Breath-taking bows for everyone!

DIY: Gift Bows

Gift Bows

DIY: Gift BowsWhat you’ll need:
A Vera Bradley paper item (we used a page from a 2011 Agenda in Buttercup), ruler, stapler, pen or pencil, scissors or X-Acto knife, and double-sided tape

DIY: Gift Bows1. Measure out 7 strips, each ½-inch wide, vertically on your page.

DIY: Gift Bows2. Leave 3 strips the full length of the page, cut 1 inch off of 2 strips, cut 2 inches off of 1 strip, and finally cut the last strip to 3 inches.

DIY: Gift Bows3. Twist and loop each strip individually so that they intersect in the middle. Staple them in the center to secure. (See picture above for reference.)

DIY: Gift Bows4. When you’re done stapling, your strips should look like this (pictured above). Form the smallest strip into a circle and secure with tape.

DIY: Gift Bows5. Start stacking and rotating the strips on top of each other from largest to smallest to form your desired bow shape. Use double stick tape to keep the strips in place, and then staple them all together in the center.

DIY: Gift Bows6. Tape the little circle in the center to complete. Repeat with any other pages you like for a festive recycled bow!

DIY: Gift Bows

Come back each Wednesday for more of Erin’s eco-friendly D.I.Y. designs.

This entry was posted in DIY, Dose of Inspiration, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to D.I.Y. Wednesday: Gift Bows

1. Stacia says:

While I love most things Vera. It would be nice to see other DIY posts that arent always with Vera products!!

• . says:

but then there will no reason for them to be on Inside Stich the official VERA BRADLEY blog.

• Jean says:

I don’t mean to be rude – but there would be no point. These DIY projects are here to show us cute stuff we can do WITH Vera stuff. If you want other things try doing a google search. As a crafter, I have my own blog, and there are plenty others out there that will give you projects. Or try using non vera stuff but the same projects.

2. Hi – I like this idea. I wish you sold fabric ribbon. I can make this bow with my bow maker. With the fabric ribbon you can make hair ribbon bows or tie up your hair.

3. christy rosenberg says:

I’m with Maria, fabric ribbon would be so great. I could make belts, pins, hair bows, gift bows, tie around vases, candles, use as napkin rings, etc. to cooridinate with other vera items I own.
    I do enjoy this DIY section though, keep um coming!

4. Helen says:

I like this! Gotta remember this page for next month closer to xmas.

5. LINDA says:

Very nice idea. The bows would work well with a solid colored wrapping paper in coordinating colors. You could also use the paper for framing small photos and collage backgrounds. Keep the ideas coming!

6. Cheryl says:

Thank you so much for showing me how to do that! Awesome!

7. Lee Ryan says:

Great Result

8. Sheryl says:

Awesome bows – I love repurposing items for gifts!

9. Pingback: DIY Gift Bows - PinTriedIt