D.I.Y. Wednesday: Cupcake Toppers and Wrappers

There’s nothing that saddens us more than having to dispose of something beautiful once it’s served its intended purpose. Contemplating this dilemma, Erin, our Product Development intern from the New York office, started thinking about repurposing. And we’re so glad she did! Today, we’re launching a series of pretty do-it-yourself (D.I.Y.) projects for the lady who loves Vera Bradley and Mother Nature. Watch for these crafty ideas every Wednesday and happy repurposing to all!

D.I.Y. Cupcake Toppers and Wrappers

Cupcake Toppers

DIY: Cupcake ToppersWhat you’ll need:
Vera Bradley patterned paper (we used a page from a Very Berry Paisley Student Agenda), a ruler, double-stick tape, a pencil or pen, scissors and toothpicks

DIY: Cupcake Toppers1. Use your ruler and writing utensil to draw 10 1-inch-by-4-inch rectangles onto your paper.

DIY: Cupcake Toppers2. Cut along the lines to create 10 rectangles.

DIY: Cupcake Toppers3. Fold each rectangle in half vertically.

DIY: Cupcake Toppers4. Carefully cut a small triangle from the open end of each folded rectangle to create the “flag effect”.

DIY: Cupcake Toppers5. Open each flag and place a piece of double-stick tape from end to end. Put a toothpick in the crease and fold over. Repeat for each flag.

DIY: Cupcake Toppers6. Place the toothpick-end of your flags into the cupcakes.

Cupcake Wrappers

DIY: Cupcake WrapperWhat you’ll need:
A used Vera Bradley Student Agenda, scissors, a pen or pencil and the provided cupcake wrapper template

DIY: Cupcake Wrapper1. Tear out the divider pages for each month. Trace the cupcake wrapper template onto the divider.

DIY: Cupcake Wrapper2. Cut along the lines to create the wrappers. (Save the remaining pages for a future D.I.Y.)

DIY: Cupcake Wrapper3. If you need to, trim.

DIY: Cupcake Wrapper4. Cover the base of your cupcake with the wrapper and secure with double-stick tape.

And serve …

Cupcake Toppers and Wrappers

Come back each Wednesday for more of Erin’s eco-friendly, beautiful D.I.Y. designs.

Thank you to Beep Beep Babycakes for providing the delicious cupcakes!

• Fun! Now you have to come up with a scrapbook line. Imagine all those pretty and fun patterns made into flowers and other embellishments. I would love to scrapbook pictures of my daughter with her VB with VB papers :)

• Rachael says:

Such a great idea! I love all of it! I will have to try it! :)

• pretty40 says:

Wow even I can do that and I don’t consider myselft “crafty”!. Thanks

• Lynn says:

Great idea! I’m already thinking about how else I can “repurpose” an item. Thanks for the idea!

• Kiera says:

Great idea! I love these cupcake toppers/cupcake wrappers. I personally love everything Vera Bradleye

• Libby says:

I have a feeling I’m going to love this series! The cupcake toppers are too cute… now I need to start baking!

• Zara says:

This is so terrific! Can’t wait to see what other DIYs you’ve cooked up!

• Mary says:

Would love to see a DIY with old BAGS!!!!

• Vickie says:

I think the idea is great but I have to ask, why is it Vera Bradley seeks out people who have done this in the past. They actually threatened a friend of mine who was making cute flowers from napkins she bought.. So if I understand it is o-kay if you tell us what we can do but if we are very crafty and come up with great things and sell them it is a major problem and you do everything including threating with a law suite for infringement on copyright. There is something so wrong with this picture.

• holly says:

The problem is with the reselling of the items, the patterns are copyrighted. Using them in your own home should not be an issue.

• Cassie says:

You can’t take Vera patterns or products and makes them into something new and sell them for a profit! They have copyrights that basically say they are the only ones to make money from this, it’s common sense!!! However this idea is adorable for a personal means like decorating for a party or shower I love it!!!

• aline says:

I love this look. Elegant for a special occasion. I will have to make these for my daughters bridal shower!!!

Aline

• Amy says:

These are absolutely amazing. Erin, give us more! :)

Amy

• Ashlie says:

LOVE this! Such a good idea! And welcome back, Courtney!

• Lauren says:

Vickie,
    You can take something that is copyrighted and resell it for a profit. That is infringement, and Vera Bradley has every right to sue your friend for that. If you’re making cute decorations for a party, then that’s fine. Just because someone bought the napkin, fabric, etc., that doesn’t mean they have the right to do whatever they want with it and make a couple bucks.

• Cami K says:

I am so excited for this diy stuff!! For my first year of college I wanted to have unique towels and so i bought some carnaby fabric napkins and cute them into strips and made a few stripes on one end of each towel. They were awesome and I always knew which ones were mine!

• I have made some lovely flower pins & accessories with VB napkins and a die cut machine that I gave to my ladies at Vera Bradley @ Bellevue Square, they were so fun and everyone seemed to love them :)

• Anneliese says:

This is a wonerful innovative way to use material & echo friendly at the same time. I will try it at my next party. congratulation to Erin Knowlton.

• sherry says:

I have to totally agree, you all need to get a scrape booking line of paper!! That would be awesome. The prints would make beautiful pages!! Love everything you come out with

• C says:

Love the idea!:P

• lbeck says:

I made 80 cupcakes for the surprise 80th bday I planned for my mom. I used scrapbook paper etc. They were fantasic! Vera prints would be fabulous! I mixed prints with plain simple wrappers. I also made up for new cupcake recipes and named them. It was great fun. And Vera Bradley already has such clever names. Fall is an easy them to decorate around. And my friend let me use her great cupcake display stand! Cupcakes are such fun and are so simple for showers, bdays, weddings, anniversary. Love the cute simple idea.

1 Trackback