The Outlet Sale shopper’s guide to success

Super shoppers, it’s your time to shine.

Vera Bradley 2010 Outlet Sale

As a nod to the fast-approaching affair – just days away, officially – our expert team of Outlet Sale veterans compiled a survival guide checklist for first-time attendees.

Come comfy. Your ensemble for the big event should consist of comfortable clothes and shoes.

Rest stop. Visit the restrooms when and where you can. Lines can, unfortunately, be time consuming.

Be hands free. Opt for a Hipster or crossbody style in lieu of a handbag. You’ll appreciate having one less thing to carry.

Register. Preregister online, print off your registration confirmation and bring it with you to the Sale. It’s easy!

Enlist a sitter. While we all love our children, a day out with your girlfriends or family might be more enjoyable (and functional).

Card stock. Be sure you have a photo ID and multiple forms of payment, just in case one credit/debit card gives you trouble.

Be weather wise. Mother Nature can be unpredictable. Have an Umbrella, light jacket, etc. on hand.

Patience, patience, patience. Be prepared for long lines. On the upside, this gives you a great opportunity to chitchat with other fans from around the country.

Fuel. Bring a snack. It’s never fun to shop on an empty stomach.

Friend finder. If you are going with friends, pick a meeting place before you start shopping.

Tweet. Follow. Repeat. Be sure to follow @verabradley on Twitter and use #vbos for updates live from the Sale. Feel free to tweet at will as well.

Take the bus. If you still need to scratch your shopping itch, catch one of our buses to the Jefferson Pointe Vera Bradley Store, available on a continual basis during Sale hours.

Smile. Remember to have fun among all your favorite colors!

Need more details about the big event?

• Stacia Momany says:

Hotel Booked! Tickets purchased! Counting down the days! :) Cant wait!!

• I am so excited – this is my first time coming to the sale instead of just sending a list!

• Gwenith Smith says:

I went last year for the first time with my bf who was such a trooper. We booked a hotel outside of Fort Wayne because we drove down over night and then we put the puppies up in a daycare all day while we shopped. We waited in line for 2.5 hours shopped for 20 minutes and waited in line again for 3 hours. Totally so worth it!! I had an aircast boot on my food because I had sprained a ligament weeks before the event. My bf was such a great guy, he carried everything and allowed me to sit while he went and grabbed items. This year I’ve enlisted my mother, and we’re making a whole day of it together. Getting a hotel and going on Friday. I’m so excited to go back this year and will be better prepared for the lines, bringing snacks and no aircast boot!!

• Tammy says:

Did you have tickets or did you just go up on the public days? I’m trying to figure out my time frame. We have tickets for Wednesday and didn’t know if we would have to wait in line for hours before our scheduled time?

Thanks
      Tammy
      My first year going…

• Kayla says:

We went last year for the 1st time and had tickets. We got there before our ticket time, expecting to wait in line for hours, but we honestly only waited maybe 45mins to get in and then only about 45-1 hour to pay. It went by fast casue we made friends with the people around us and the line kept moving. We could have been lucky on the timing, but they have the event set up so nicely and everything ran smoothly. I would plan to be there about an hour before you ticket time, just to get in line and be safe.

Hope this helps!

• Denise says:

Tickets are the way to go for sure. Still had to wait a little in line for your scheduled shop time, but the line moved quickly. Coming again this year for third year in a row. So psyched.

• Tracy says:

Last year we didn’t have to wait in line but maybe 10 mins. It was pretty much right in at the time your suppose to be and checkout was a long wait. It was way better organized than in past year.

• TRWilliams says:

I went last on thursday and didn’t have a problem. Year before was a different story so glad they now do tickets!!

• karen says:

Went yesterday for the first time with tickets in hand. Disappointed. showed up an hour before time and still waited over 1/2 hour AFTER our scheduled time to get in.

• Linda Olson says:

I am very disappointed. I do not live anywhere near an outlet store. I must have 20 VB bags and I am giving many away to my children and grandchildren and friends every year. I love you bags, but wish I could get in on the deal!

• Melissa says:

Can someone give me an idea on how the prices are? Are they marked down that much? I’ve never been and am considering taking a day off without pay to go.

• Kelly says:

I have been to the sale before and am going again this year. I was disappointed that the $5 tickets ended up costing nearly $9 after fees from Ticketmaster…any plans to give the ticket holders a coupon or discount, or maybe a freebie??

• Betty says:

I agree. Paid nearly twice the price for the $5.00 ticket.

• cathy kowalk says:

I did also. My girlfriend and i bought tickets for 2 days cost us 39.50 for the tickets. Kind of crazy. But it is out girls spring outing

• Shari says:

I agree! I don’t mind the $5, but with it ending up costing more.. not good!

• kbeam says:

Since I enjoy the sale so much and it’s great bonding time with my daughter I think of it as a $4 ticket and a $5 donation to the Vera Bradley foundation! It’s a good cause!

• Julie says:

I agree! I was fine paying $5 for a fun filled day and lots of great bargains but $10 is a bit much (especially when most of us will spend hundreds of dollars). Have been going for years but this is the first time going on a ticketed day. Hope it’s worth it!! Happy shopping everyone!!!!!

• I agree. $5.00 is fair but my ticket cost close to $12.00 because of the processing fee and then the service fee. That is a bit high to shop and spend money.

• billie bowling says:

I totally agree. This is my 4th year. The first couple years I went we got a 5dollar off coupon and a coupon for a free gift. When I bought my tickets this year I paid 12dollars after all the fees. 2 tickets for 10bucks became 24dollars. I can’t wait for the sale tomorrow but I was upset over the ticket price.

• Lisa says:

So excited for this years sale! Couldn’t go last year :(, but have enjoyed the other 9 yrs. of fun shopping and getting some nice deals. We always go the 1st day of the sale~it’s a must!! Still love using my rolling suitcase! So this year with my sister will be our “10th Anniversary” :) We never go expecting anything to purchase in particular, just get whatever catches our attention, a few gifts for upcoming birthdays, and Christmas.

• Tonya says:

Lisa, me and my sis do the same thing! Not expecting anything in particular. 10 years!! thats awesome. This will be our 2nd year and the first year going on the first day. :-)

• Kim says:

Last year was the first year I went with my daughter. We live about 2 hours away. We left at noon on Saturday kind of on a whim. We arrived around 2pm, there were no lines to get in, plenty of parking. When we first got there the check out line was wound around the convention center but by the time we were ready to check out (maybe an hour later) there was no line in the convention center just in the check out area which took about 30-45 minutes. We stopped for dinner and drove home. Some things were or were limited on selection but we weren’t really expecting anything so it was ok. I filled my “gift closet” and did not run out of things until after Christmas. We plan to do the same thing this year. I am not that much of a shopper to wait 3 hours for anything but it was a fun day for my daughter and I with the unexpected pleasure of picking up a few deals.

• Nicole says:

Wow! Are we ever excited! Three generations of Vera Bradley fans heading to the sale. There would have been four generations, but sadly, my grandmother, who by the way, got us all “hooked” on Vera, took a fall and cannot take the three hour car ride. This will be our first time attending and we are looking forward to the experience. We have had our hotel booked for three months! Our countdown is on.

• Beth Lockard says:

Last year was my first year for the Vera Sale and went with about 8 other ladies from work. We had a ball! My best friend was so excited about all the deals and finds, she is coming with me this year. Our husbands are tagging along for the hotel stay so we’re making it a couples weekend! Had our hotel since July 2010. Can’t wait!!

• Judy Bonar says:

This will be the first trip buying a ticket for the timed session. Can you
    tell me how it works.??? We are scheduled for Thurs. Apr. 12th at 11:00. Do we just come a little before 11:00 or do we have to stand in line? Do you clear the floor between sessions?? This is all new to
    us. Have always stood in line for hours before, but just to old to do that anymore. Any information about how it works will be appreciated

• Kay says:

The floors are cleared between each session. I’ve gone on the first day Wednesday for several years now and we have always had to wait in line to get in, but we plan on this and are prepared with snacks, card games, and list making once we see the map for this year’s layout. We take time to plan where each person will go and what they will pick up for the others in our group, That’s half the fun of it.

• Krlhrnss@gmail.com says:

Canyou get tickets for the Friday sessions at the coliseum? We have the 7:30 tickets purchased through ticketmaster already, but if we don’t get all we want in the allotted time we want to go back later. I hate to pay all the fees ticketmaster add to the ticket prices if I can. It one at the sale

• kb steck says:

i would like to know the same thing. i never purchased tickets before,
      just walked in. But i have purchased tickets and am now wondering
      why all the waiting, I thought having tickets would stagger shoppers.

• jen says:

They clear the floor and restocked between sessions. I am not sure if you can get the tickets there…will depend on if sessions are sold out. Get there a little early but everyone will get in so don’t worry if you are going on a ticket session. If you go the free days…plan on waiting in line. Sometimes you can get in fast sometimes you wait for hours. I found the weather has a little to do with people wanting to travel there at the last minute. But we love the experience and have gone for 7 years now!

• cathy kowalk says:

looks like a great time cant wait to come there

• cathy kowalk says:

Cant wait for the show…..looks like alot of fun

• Shari says:

Love Love this Sale! Been coming for 10 years! Please, don’t bring kids or husbands! Just come and enjoy your girlfriends!

• Cheri says:

Does anyone know the recently retired patterns we may see at the sale?

• Gina Kaufman says:

It’s FUN, FUN, FUN!!!!!! Well worth the wait! I wait all year long for this girls weekend away. Couldn’t be better!

• Dayzee says:

For the new ladies attending a scheduled session, a line does form for your session and you have to wait to get in if you want to be there at the beginning of your scheduled time. I suppose if you show up a half an hour after your scheduled session starts, you could probably walk right in. Everything is cleaned up and re-arranged in between sessions.

• Shanna says:

Our first year and can’t wait!!!!! We have tickets for Friday at 2:30, do you know if we should arrive pretty early? Thank you!!!

• Angie Richert says:

Does anyone know if you can get a refund for session tickets? I have two extra for Thursday 6-8:30 pm session.

• Laurie Thome says:

This is our 4th year, it’s a yearly thing for my Mom and I. It’s a nice “mom & daughter day” for both of us, looking forward to it!

• Pat W. says:

What about parking? Will there be enough parking around the Colesium? Is there a fee to park? Do cell phones work inside? So if your session is 2:30 should we get there at 1:30? Thanks for any info. Can’t wait, it’s our 1st time & we’re driving from St. Louis.

• I’m so excited to come to the sale this year. I am coming with two other friends and neither one of us have ever been before. Should we get there an hour early? How is everything organized? By color or type of bag? Is it easy to navigate? Do we know what patterns are for sale? So excited any other insider tips for the newbies??

• Happy me says:

I went for the first time last year. If you bought a ticket, just come at the appropriate time. There is not really much of a line. It is really well organized by products (type of bag), so there is some hunting to do if you want everything in one pattern. But that is half the fun. And we do not know what patterns are there until you arrive. But just bring a smart phone and you can text a picture to someone you are buying for…the deals are soo good I bought 3 FULL sets (med duffle, large duffel and tote) last year, a brief case and a bunch of stocking stuffers for around $500.

• Yvonne Quint says:

this is at least my 12th year. tradition Mothers and daughter(s). Different every year. agree the extra fees for ticketmaster is ridiculous
    Plymouth,IN

• Mo says:

Can you get refunds for tickets that you aren’t able to use? Planned to attend but couldn’t get anyone to go with me (from AZ) because airfare was too expensive.

• SHERRY DOWELL says:

I WENT LAST YEAR FOR THE 1ST TIME!! IT WAS AMAZING AND FUN, MY SISTER’S, CHARLEEN AND LISA WENT, AND MY SISTER IN LAW JOY ORGANIZED THE WHOLE DAY. IT WAS GREAT. BEFORE THE SALE, WE SAT IN LINE, BROUGHT IN SUBWAY, AND HAD A GREAT TIME THERE. THEN WENT SHOPPING – THAT WAS SO MUCH FUN!- THEN WE WENT TO THE VERA STORE AT JEFFERSON SQUARE. WHILE THERE, WE WENT TO CHARMING CHARLIES TOO… ALL IN ALL, IT WAS A DAY WORTH TAKING THE TIME TO SPEND WITH FAMILY AND ALL OF US ENJOYED IT SO MUCH. WITH ALL THE BRAGGING WE DID ABOUT IT LAST YEAR. WE HAVE MORE SISTER’S COMING, A DAUGHTER IN LAW, AND A FRIEND.. BUT ALL OF THIS WAS FANTASTIC TOO BECAUSE MY SISTER – IN – LAW OPENED HER HOUSE UP FOR US TO SPEND THE NIGHT AS SHE IS THIS YEAR TOO. IT IS VERY MUCH WORTH THE PRICE TO GET THE TICKET, SIT IN LINE, THEN GO TO THE EVENT.
    IT IS JUST SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!!!

• Coarly Smith says:

This is our first year going! We can not wait. We have tickets for tomorrow (thursday). Does anyone know how early we will need to arrive? Including the time it will take to park and such. Our ticketed time session is at 11 a.m.
    Thanks so much!!!!!

• Vera gal says:

we had tickets for 11a.m. today. arrived at 10:30 and line already very long and continued to grow. Although session started 11, my group did not get in until after 11:30, and some I spoke with said they didn’t make it in the doors to shop until 12:30 because of long lines, leaving little time to shop since they clear the floors between groups. Crazy! Even so, it was less of a wait then last year on free day when I was in line almost 3 hrs! Prices were higher this year, some items I reeaaaaally wanted (clutch kisslock wallet) were almost non-existent :-( , and much higher than last (21.99 vs. 15.99 last year), but line to check out was much quicker than last year. Problem I had with this year was I had some items/patterns I had hoped to find that were not there, so this year was disappointing compared to the years I went with nothing specific in mind. Guess that’s the ‘thrill of the hunt’, so leave you expectations behind and just go for the hunt and you’ll have a great time!

• Linda says:

Attended the sale today…4-11-12. Had tickets for the first session (7:30am). Stood in line…didn’t get into shopping area until 8:30am….still had to be in check-out line at 10:00. We lost alot of shopping time by waiting in line for so long which was NOT our fault, we were there in plenty of time…like 6:30 am. Also don’t like the extra charges for Ticketmaster.

• cory! says:

i agree…had 2:30 tickets…didn’t get in ’till 2:50 & was booted out right at 5:00…wasn’t happy at all with that! why pay to get in at a certain time if you still have to wait! oh well, did have fun & deal are good…i’ll still do it again…makes a fun little trip!

• cory! says:

oh ya…also i’d like to know how the sale is on the “open” days (non-ticket)…are the items marked down further? is there still a pretty good selection? do you have to wait forever to get in? thanks!

• Jackie Curtis says:

Be sure to check you bag after you check out. 2 items I bought and that were on my receipt were not in my bag when I got home.

• Laurie M says:

This is my fourth year going to the Vera Bradley sale. This is the first year I have purchased the ticket time. The wait time was great as I live about an hour a way. So only waited about 20 minutes for the line to start moving for our allotted time. And the crowd was a lot less. And check out was only about 20-25 minutes. The only thing I was disappointed on was this years maps of the sale floor were not helpful at all. Had to ask attendants where certain items were. As in years past the items were listed on your program by item, number and balloon color and easy to find. I hope they fix this for next year. But all working staff were very helpful. Had a great day and got to spend time with my sister.