Fukubukuro

fukubukuro event

Have you ever heard of Fukubukuro? No? Don’t worry; we at Inside Stitch hadn’t either until recently. Held each year on January 1, fukubukuro translates into lucky bag, and is rooted in the Japanese word fuku, meaning good fortune. To mark this Japanese occasion, merchants traditionally make grab bags filled with goods and sell them at a discount price (typically 50% off). Bags go fast, on a first-come, first-serve basis, so shoppers have to come early to greet 2011 with good luck and great styles!

This year, four Vera Bradley Stores are joining in on the fun:
California – San Francisco, San Jose
Hawaii – Ala Moana
Washington – Bellevue

Choose from Vera Bradley mystery bags priced at:
$50 (contents valued at $100)
$100 (contents valued at $200)
$150 (contents valued at $300)

We hope you’ll join us for Fukubukuro. Happy New Year!

• Pat says:

Is there some reason why Vera Bradley customer service does not respond to phone calls or emails? Nio one answers their phone line? Did they have a fire?

• Lori says:

Can these be ordered online?

• Allegra says:

What a cool idea, I wish I lived closer to those stores!!

• Brandi says:

Needs to come to Ft Wayne, Indiana!!!!! :)

• Pat says:

Why do you put this on FB if not everyone can participate? I would like to do this but live in South Carolina….Happy New Year to you too.

• Dawn says:

They need to have it in more states! I live in Indiana. Happy New Years!

• Sharon says:

I agree with Pat. Someone in marketing at Vera Bradley should know that you can target specific areas. It’s a great idea if you are close by.

• Maricel says:

I have personally experienced this since we moved from Japan, we lived there for 9 years. This usually happens Jan 2-3 and all stores open for the day participate (if they are not participating, they do not open their stores) and display their fukubukuro in front of their stores where passers-by can easily see them. It is truly an exciting day to shop because all shops that are open are on at least 50% sale!

• Olivia Pierce says:

I would definitely go to this if it was at a closer store. I live in AL and the Vera Bradley Store is maybe 8 minutes away. You would think they would atlas make one of the four stores some where in Florida just because they have two stores in the west and one in the north. What happened to all of their fans in the South?

• Deborah Luedtke says:

I think this is something that should be offered online for people that do not live close to a Vera store.

• JANICE says:

I made a 2 purchase of the $50.00 bags and was disappointed cause I have gotten the same items in the 2 different purchase and also my friend purchased the $50.00 bag and got the same items that I received. I think that they should have told me that it is the same items in the bags so that I would have only made one purchase…My freind also made a purchase of the $50.00 bag and got the same items and color that I received.. This was my first and last FUKUBUKURO ever……This was at the Hawaii store at Ala Moana Center

• Joan DeBlasio says:

I received this e-mail today and a friend is in Hawaii and went to Ala Moana. I called her to go check it out. Why bother sending e-mail if promotion is over.

• Pam says:

I would love it if you would produce umbrellas.
    Pam